Monday, February 2, 2009

Media Literacy, studied within acronyms

The first thing I found during my googled search of media literacy was the CML page, the Center for Media Literacy (http://www.medialit.org/). I must admit it was a comfort to find a source dedicated to something like Media Literacy, when I sometimes fear no one thinks much at all anymore. In fact, to my pleasant surprise, I found a myriad of sites devoted to the understanding and analytical reasoning of the media. I can only surmise that there is far more of a present awareness of stereotypes and underhanded messages within the media than I'd first assumed. So, no more assuming for me. There are many organizations, most large enough to have important sounding acronyms like the previously mentioned CML or NAMLE (National Association for Media Literacy Education) that deal with the idea of Media Literacy. Capital letters aside, each one seemed to share similar messages and goals. Think. Look at what's around you for what it is. Question its purpose, its desires, its very being, because if you don't, it will think for you. Of course, they didn't word it in so crasse a manner, but the point remains the same. Anyone with even the slightest inclination and access to a computer can find a steady stream of exceptionally useful information. Which leaves me wondering, why is the majority of the population still so ignorant upon the subject?

3 comments:

  1. woman, i love the way you write a novel and i know you really arent done ranting <333 beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you stumbled upon surprises in your web surfing! Looking for resources this way is very different than just reading an article for class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you asked: why is the majority of the population still so ignorant upon the subject?
    possible answer: media literacy is not required in american education...and we don't test it, so it's not taught..

    ReplyDelete